Meet ‘Chaiwala’ who dropped out of MBA to sell tea, built 4 crore business – Prafull Billore
Prafull Billore is a young Indian entrepreneur and YouTuber who founded his own tea business in Gujarat. He titled it Mr. Billore at first but then changed it to MBA Chai Wala since many found it difficult to pronounce. His failure to pass the CAT admission exam, along with his passion for tea, sparked the idea of selling tea throughout India. Prafull rose to prominence with his innovative business concepts such as ‘Mehfil-e-Kavita,’ ‘Free tea for singles,’ ‘Youth entrepreneurship seminars,’ and many others. Prafull’s MBA Chai Wala began with barely Rs 8000 and has now grown to a turnover of more than 4 crores.
✅ Prafull Billore’s Early Life
- Prafull was born in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, to an Indian family.
- After failing the CAT exam, he traveled to places such as Bengaluru, Mumbai, and others.
- Prafull was inspired to work at McDonald’s by renowned Americans.
✅ Prafull Billore’s Educational Qualification
Prafull began his MBA preparations in 2014. (Master of Business Administration).
- He earned a Bachelor of Commerce degree from Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya (DAVV) in Indore in 2016.
- Prafull began studying for the CAT (Common Admission Test) and the GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) in 2016. (Graduate Management Admission Test).
- Even after two attempts, he was unable to pass the CAT exam.
✅ Prafull Billore’s Career
- Following his graduation, Prafull began working as a salesperson for Amway.
- He later worked as a housekeeping staff at McDonald’s.
- While working at McDonald’s, he established MBA Chai Wala, a tea kiosk.
✅ MBA Chaiwala, ‘Talk of the Town’
Prafull Billore, also known as the MBA Chaiwala these days, is the successful proprietor of his MBA Chaiwala franchise. The MBA Chaiwala company began with an Rs 8,000 investment and has grown to become a Rs 3 crore enterprise based on something that many Indians like namely tea.
Prafull Billore, who was born on January 14, 1996, in Madhya Pradesh, has finished his degree in commerce. He was earning Rs. 25,000 per month as an Amway Salesman after finishing his degree. He aspired to study at the famous IIM Ahmedabad, just like every other student and MBA applicant in India.
He was attracted to the thought that MBA graduates will be overwhelmed with job offers and big wage packages from reputable corporations and firms. As a result, he was determined to pass the CAT exam and gain admission to IIM. His parents were equally keen for their kid to be admitted to the prestigious management school.
✅ Initial Struggles and Hurdles
Despite preparing diligently for the CAT examinations, the soon-to-be MBA Chaiwala failed the exam many times, putting his ambitions on hold. Prafull Billore, dissatisfied with his life, decided to take a sabbatical and travel to other locations. Finally, he decided to relocate to Ahmedabad and hunt for work. He quickly found employment at McDonald’s, working his way up from cleaning to kitchen crew to cashier. His pay at the time was about Rs. 200-300 per hour, which amounted to about Rs. 6000 per month.
Despite making success at work, Prafull Billore was dissatisfied with his current position. All he wanted was to establish a good reputation for himself. He desired to start his own lucrative business. He abandoned the plan after realizing the amount of money needed to operate a cafe. Then he had the wonderful notion of opening a tea shop. He was first hesitant to do so, especially given the stereotypes and stigmas that generally accompanied roadside tea vendors. He was also scared of his father’s judgment and expectations.
Nevertheless, the MBA Chaiwala chose to pursue the concept and open his tea stand with an Rs. 8000 loan from his father. He obtained the funds from his father under the guise of attending a short-term educational course. Prafull Billore launched his tea stand, MBA Chaiwala, in Ahmedabad on July 25, 2017.
✅ Beginning of MBA Chaiwala
Fortunately for Prafull Billore, MBA Chaiwala got off nicely despite a rocky start. His previous experience working for McDonald’s paid off since he was able to draw numerous people to his kiosk by either approaching them personally or speaking with them in English. Most of his clients were pleased by his English skills and enjoyed his cordial discussions. Even though his modest firm was growing, his family was still oblivious of his new enterprise.
Instead of using plastic cups, MBA Chaiwala gave his tea in clay glasses with toast and paper to make himself more acceptable to the public. He charged Rs. 30 for the tea-toast-tissue bundle. Within a month, he was selling 10,000 to 11,000 cups each day, and his business was gradually expanding, all while his family was oblivious of his success. His parents then discovered his successful enterprise on YouTube. While his family first opposed the notion of him opening a tea shop, they eventually welcomed his new business.
So, when MBA Chaiwala began to build a solid client base, his competitors were angered by his success. MBA Chaiwala’s rising reputation had made the tea merchants in his neighborhood envious. The tea vendors collectively and forcefully agreed to kick the MBA Chaiwala out of their territory.
✅ A fresh Start
Despite the setback, Praful Billore was determined to make MBA Chaiwala a huge success. He approached a hospital owner and the required authorities with the assistance of a few acquaintances and asked for a location to put up his tea shop. He was granted permission and rented the area for Rs. 10,000, where he reopened his tea stand. This time, in addition to tea, he began to serve snacks and coffee. Furthermore, he developed a positive connection with his clients and established a little spot in his shop where job seekers could write their names, phone numbers, and qualifications so that possible employers could locate and contact them.
Soon after, Prafull Billore opened MBA Chaiwala, a restaurant. Despite being teased for his lack of qualifications and career, he did not take the criticism personally. He even boasted that the MBA in MBA Chaiwala stood for ‘Mr. Billore Ahmedabad Chaiwala,’ not ‘Masters in Business Administration.’
MBA Chaiwala quickly gained popularity and built several franchisees and cafes around India. Its name and repute aided Prafull Billore’s successful endeavor, which earned him crores. MBA Chaiwala has had the honor of serving over 200 events throughout the years, including women empowerment, entrepreneurship, LinkedIn programs, and so on. He was also asked to serve his famed tea at several weddings and political rallies.
Apart from focusing on the expansion of MBA Chaiwala and its franchises, Prafull Billore devotes his time to charitable concerns such as the economic upliftment of poor people and women empowerment via the organization of fundraisers and campaigns. He is occasionally invited to appear as a guest speaker at prestigious universities such as the IIMs and Harvard, where he discusses his passion and accomplishment. MBA Chaiwala earned Rs. 4 crores in revenue in 2021-22 as a result of his sharp mind, strategy, and perseverance.
✅ USP(Unique Selling Point) of MBA Chaiwala
Despite intense competition from other tea vendors, the MBA Chaiwala maintains its monopoly. So, what distinguishes it from other tea vendors? Listed below are some of the MBA Chaiwala’s unique selling points:
- Prafull Billore would engage in cordial conversation with customers, drawing on his experience working at Mcdonald’s. This, paired with his proficiency in English, drew a sizable number of consumers to his business. He also unusually served tea.
- He served his tea in ceramic mugs with bread and tissue paper. He added snacks and coffee to his menu after expanding his firm.
- He maintains a small section of his business dedicated to folks looking for work. This allowed potential companies to engage with job searchers in some ways.
- He also has a sizable social media following on LinkedIn and Facebook.
- The MBA Chaiwala also arranges activities like book exchange programs and entrepreneurial programs, which generate a lot of attention around his stores.
✅ Prafull Billore Achievements
- Prafull rose to prominence as a result of his innovative tea-selling tactics.
- His brand is recognized and valued by major media organizations such as The Times of India, NDTV, Zee News, Scoopwoop, Brut, Aaj Tak, BBC, and CNN.
- Prafull has been invited to several college talk shows, including IITs, IIMs, LPU, TEDxKIET (together with Nitin Gadkari), Josh Talks, TEDxMDI Gurgaon, and others.
- He has also written a book called ‘All You Need is JOSH.’